Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A brief meditation on life and friends...

I just collapsed onto my bed a moment ago completely exhausted and ready for bed. I was lying there, my whole body tingling as it does when it is finally allowed to stop lifting, walking, jumping , sitting and pulling and just lie still. I’m so ready to sleep. I’m so bloody awake.

And the thoughts start running through my head...

And I get to thinking about my day and the people in it. The majority of the day was spent staring at my computer screen at the useless words I was trying in vain to force together. I went to a tutorial and listened quietly, did a hastily prepared presentation in German, and had a cookie for lunch. I met some friends from abroad and realised I’m going to miss them when they go home, just like I miss my Koblenz friends and the old uni crowd from last year. I briefly crossed paths with the 3 other residents of my house, and I talked to a friend, about how another friend doesn’t make time anymore.

People come and go all the time, I know. It’s just not the nature of life to offer anything permanent and unchanging. Friends can be distant, when you want them near, or fade away from your life, without a moment’s notice. But sometimes I wish I could just hold on to everyone at once. Because if there’s one thing I regret about today, it’s that cookie, but the only thing I’ll remember in a week’s time, is who I saw and who I missed.

And then all of a sudden I remember I left my computer on. That means I have to haul myself up again. Oh I’m so ready to sleep.

2 comments:

Caitlin Pyle said...

:-) YAY for calling it a cookie and not a biscuit, mate!! *high fives*

i do hope you got to sleep some. dont miss Koblenz too much, I guarantee Australia is WAY COOLER!!

love you bunches!

Kel said...

hey girl
i have been following your blogs believe it or not, kinda like a silent stalker and i must say that i feel the same way but dont worry it will pass and you will get caught up once again in the busyness that is life.
Love you
Love kel
P.S. make time for me