Sunday, November 9, 2008

I dream of spring blossoms...




I have soil under my fingernails, dirt on my feet and definitely no idea about gardening.


I picked up some flower seeds on impulse, captured by a vision of Swan River Daisy’s and Everlastings growing at my front door. Briefly caught up in a daydream about my very own flowers, hand reared and coaxed from seeds into sprouts, sung to, talked to, caressed and cried over when they begun to wilt, the seeds actually sat on my desk for a week. They waited patiently for me to pay them due attention and seal their fates in soil, until today came along, a breezy fine Sunday afternoon that was serving no other purpose. Seizing the packets, a spade and a hat, I ventured into the front yard, where it was decided my tiny seedlings would begin their lives, safe from the destructive paws of Baloo the Golden Labradorable.


Step 1: Read Instructions.


Instructions: Full sun, part shade, low alkaline soil, 1-2mm, water with lemon scent, kiss before planting etc etc


Step 2: Ignore Instructions.

Way, way too complicated. And so I cleared away the leaf litter, scooped out some sand and simply dropped the seeds in, tentatively buried them again, sprinkled them with water and left a hand print offering to mother earth for luck. I departed with only a slight pang of guilt and shame at my poor mothering skills and the slow burning fantasy of buying an apple tree, some oversized gloves and a watering can.....




Step 3: Buy the Idiots Guide to Gardening

1 comment:

Caitlin Pyle said...

hahaha too funny, mate :-) love the pics. when you took the pics, were u thinking "man i gotta blog about this!" ? lol