Friday, May 20, 2011

Sunshine


This is the most spectacular time of year, full of empty afternoons bathed in the smoky golden light of slightly shorter, cooler days. These are the days when I most adore being a penniless, part-time student with eons of unscheduled minutes. In the late afternoon of Perth’s fine autumn days the ducks gather and settle in a quiet curve of the river while I skate slowly along the flat, pleasantly smooth paths built for terrible skaters like me.




 
 
Cities would be unliveable without parks. Without trees, windy paths, fields of spongy, lush grass and bodies of water. The first victim of droughts in suburbia is the grass. The newest solution to this is to roll out plastic grass. I’d rather just have dirt. Who wants grass you can vacuum? No. Grass is meant to be laid upon in an idle hour when watching an ant disappear into the jungle becomes the highest priority. When I was little I used to imagine how amazing it would be to be 10cms tall, like on that movie Indian in the Cupboard (anyone remember that?) What an awesome playground the grass would be then. But back here in the now of an adult May, my mind blissfully ignores the call to search for work and revels instead in the last few hours of autumn sunshine….




No comments: