Thursday, June 25, 2009

All kinds of things lost and unwanted and found anew

I’d like to tell you that everything has changed. That I woke up this morning and the universe had rearranged itself. Plates were cups, cups were spoons, endings meant beginnings and I was happy. But truth be told, that’s a lie.

So let’s not tell the truth, let’s dance around in metaphors. It has been raining and raining and raining, and I have been walking in circles in the rain. I have knelt despairingly on the wet grass, watching the water slowly but surely seep through my pants. I have mumbled hazy words into the phone to confused ears miles and miles away. The rain has been a change, but I have to admit I’m over it. It’s grey and dramatic, but I’m chilled to the core now. There are somethings not even a warm coat and a yellow umbrella can protect you from. I’m ready for some sunshine.

Sunshine came via Sydney from the US of A with piles of chocolate and a lot of jetlag. Sunshine slept for many hours, and eventually emerged with a yawn and a wonky grin. The Great American Distraction, comrade Ruth and I made the most of a windy but fine winters day, eating good pizza and frites, being blasted by the wind and waves and wandering about the city of Perth. Good people, big laughs, and no rain.

As good a mood as I'm in, I’m still busy peeling the remnants of my heart off the pavement. It’s a cruel world, especially if you are an analogue TV in a digital age. We recently replaced our trusty hand-me-down, wheelie, pre-historic TV with a hyper-über-skinny-new-digital-flat-screen, and I found myself nostalgic for days past as I gazed at the forlorn TV sitting in the trailer on its way to the rubbish tip. I know it’s a little bit dramatic to react this way when things change and your old TV is thrown out but what can I say? I relate to inanimate objects. I understand their plight. In a moment they are rendered useless, having been unceremoniously discarded. Absolutely necessary one moment and mere clutter the next, they have been loved, but not quite enough to be kept around. They give us what we want, then we turn them out because times change, no matter how fond of them we still are. I guess thats why you're not supposed to form close relationships with your TV.

But anyway, I made this video, an ode to our old TV.

No comments: