Saturday, July 18, 2009

The edge of the world

These past weeks I have wandered from the far north, where the earth is red and the sunsets glow brilliant orange at dusk to the cold south where the big smooth boulders of the coast are battered by high seas and driving rain. Beaching and road tripping with my friends I had the time to absorb the world around me and revel in those quiet moments amongst trees and rocks, oceans and rivers and simply enjoy being around the kind of people that make this world worth it.

I stood alone on Cable Beach and gulped down big breaths of endless sky, and on the roads that wind through the depths of the forests I learnt of the tingle tree that burns through the heartwood in bush fires to survive only by a thin layer of living matter on the outside. I’m going to be like that sky and those trees, free and empty but alive.

My holiday time flew by, as it always does when you’d like it to pass slowly and now I have arrived at the gate of uncertainty, unsure what is to come my way these next few months. I am slogging my way uphill but my vision is blocked by the crest of the hill, I have no idea what’s coming my way. Maybe the road will twist beneath me so fast that I’ll come to a screaming halt in the bush, maybe it will continue as it has been... maybe this is in fact the edge of the world and I’m about to fall off?

If you never hear from me again, you know where to look for me.

1 comment:

Caitlin Pyle said...

Brilliance at its peak. You'll figure it out, mate. You always do!