Sunday, June 19, 2011

Work

This week I had two tasks; research and write an essay and prepare some empty tomato/beans tins for my current herb-garden project. Two guesses which one I actually got done. The joys of getting dirty, dusty, torn jeans, splattering paint on my shirt and getting earth in the cracks of my fingers from hard work making something outside with the sun on my face far outweigh the joys of sitting at a desk all day scratching the grey matter. Of course there is also the fact one is something I have to do, and the other is something I want to do. But when one is accustomed to mental work that is mentally draining e.g. sitting at a computer, working in retail, doing something that is actually physically draining or results in the creation of something new, is in fact refreshing. It’s the kind of revelation that makes me want to become a gardener or builder, rather than my chosen career path of teaching. This is ironic since my parents, who have worked hard, physical, bone-grinding jobs all their lives, wish for their children a good white-collar job. And now here I am, wanting to dig holes and build boxes instead of stare at a screen all day.

So these are the things I have made this week – the first, my flower box, came about as a result of the packing our new oven arrived in. basically, I nailed four pieces of cardboard together and painted them, today I planted some pansy’s and wella!



Secondly, I’ve been collecting tins for the last few weeks to start growing some herbs in. Rip/soak the labels off, drill some holes in the bottom for drainage, paint them and name them.. all that remains to be done is to plant the seeds and with any luck, in a few weeks I’ll have my own chives sprouting on my patio.


 


And now, a new week, what to do with it?

1 comment:

Maria said...

Maybe you should consider getting into "Interiorscaping". You could work with plants all day and really enjoy the peace that kind of job brings. You seem to like growing things. Surely there is an Interiorscaping company in Perth